Friday, March 20, 2009

discovery comes at all ages.

Put the lime in the coconut and stir it up...duh...duh. Sorry, just can't seem to get that song out of my head. I'm not sure who sings it and have no idea what verse comes next. That's it. Moving on.

Since relocating to the sunny state I've learned a few things about the tropics. One of which is that coconuts grow on palm trees. A certain variety of palm tree. I guess a coconut palm tree. Who knew? YOU may have known this but I never thought of it. Why, I don't know? Never payed much attention.

What kind of coconut comes from these palm trees of Florida? It can't be the normal coconut I'm accustom to seeing in the produce section of the local grocery. It can't be the normal coconut because these coconuts look different. These coconuts are large and have wooden type husks. Too big. They must be a type of coconut but surely not the edible ones...right?

Wrong...they are.

The coconuts of Florida are in fact edible. They ARE the coconuts with sweet white meat. I learned this while on a mission. I can't divulge just yet what type of mission but I will say it involves grandpa and grandma, a carrier service and a certain type of nut. Humm...

Anyway, if anyone happens upon a large round wooden husk and wants to discover the nut inside see below. We uncovered the mystery.



1. Be on the look out for a coconut palm. Search the base of tree for fallen coconuts (fallen coconuts are easier to obtain for obvious reasons).


2. When unable to find fallen coconuts take matters into your own hands.


3. Place coconut on a gripping surface and saw into woody like husk. In our house this step calls for power tools.



4. Crack, peel, rip. tear or turn your four year old loose with a hammer. Do what you need to to shred the woody surface and get into the hairy "grocery store" nut.


5. Viola! Coconut uncovered.


6. Uncovered the nut but want to keep going? Hammer works great!


7. Well done! You've got it sweet fleshy coconut meat. Eat raw or shred and toast...enjoy.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love your play by play on this, very funny.

Joy said...

Thanks Heather! I'm glad you find the humor. I think you're the only one who reads the blog.